I connect with the Burke reading in my own use of essential questions and learning objectives. In thinking of the instructional needs of my English language learners, I use the SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) model that includes a content and language objective for each lesson within a unit. Burke asks teachers to "establish a clear rationale." This is crucial in determining not only what students will be able to do, but also how they will use language to show that they have met this objective. Ralph Tyler says that clarifying objectives is an "essential first step" in planning any lesson. It is quite necessary to streamline ideas and activities to fit the time constraints and curriculum. Without objectives, the classroom becomes a sea of disconnected activities. There is a huge danger of students doing "busy work".
Burke also wants the lesson to be connected to students' prior knowledge. This is crucial for ELLs (and also part of the SIOP model) because it gives them the "starting place" in their writing to which Kittle refers. Kittle wants us to scaffold the narrative writing process by having students write about a moment, then many moments, then a place narrative in order to create a more complete story. This process is helpful for ELLs because, as Burke says, the students are building on their own prior knowledge and experience. While they may have to work harder on literature analysis (that is sometimes introduced by the narrative), they are coming at it with a bit of momentum from writing their narratives.
I had questions about the blending of genres. Kittle's example, of her friend's obituary and her own response to it, was fascinating and moving. As many of my students don't have a lot of knowledge of different genres, I wonder how I, in planning the curriculum over the course of a year, can appropriately introduce different genres. If I were to give students a choice in which genres they wish to blend, how can I build their background so they can make an informed decision? I wonder if this blending genres unit is too much for the ELLs in my classes. I found Kittle's goal of "rigor in progress" to fit in well with ELLs because there is much to be gained by working in multiple genres for an assignment, even if they haven't yet mastered them individually. For my classroom, I would have to adapt the genres to an appropriate reading level and also be mindful of the specific vocabulary required to navigate (for example, the language used in writing an obituary ) in case I needed to pre-teach anything.
The most important theme that I took away was Kittle's assertion that "good writing rests on the writer in command of a subject". Students are empowered by being the expert on anything, but many of my students have not felt this empowerment or success in school. The struggle rests on helping them to feel like experts on something, and keeping everything in the academic realm. The language objectives have always helped me to focus on exactly how I want to see students show their expertise in a structured way. I have many students who start out writing about soccer and how much they love their families; it is my job to take them to the next level and direct this passion toward interacting with different genres of text.
I think Kittle's blending of genres is a great way to incorporate new ways of writing into the classroom. The best way to show students the kinds of genres they can use is to do mini-lessons introducing each one. That way, they have some background knowledge of what each genre is and how they might be able to use it.
ReplyDeleteYeah the story was Cynthia was very moving. I was thinking about all the characters in literature that my kids could relate or compare to someone in their own lives.
ReplyDeleteThe concept of relating prior knowledge is important to all students, especially to ELL students. I like how you noticed the empowering component of kittle assertion. Students become more engaged and vested when they feel empowered, the sky is the limit when students have confidence, establish their voice and feel empowered.
ReplyDelete